Chief Financial Officer – Remote in Canada
Want to change the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” We need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth. We have reinvigorated our program to meet the changing demands of youth and are searching for someone who wants to continue their career the Non-Profit sector to help us develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Reporting to the CEO and Executive Commissioner the Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for the financial, payroll and benefits of the organization including the production of financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and comprehensive set of controls designed to minimize risk. Responsible for ensuring the accuracy of financial results and compliance with financial accounting reporting standards with an annual budget of up to $25,000,000; financial oversight of approximately 200 properties and an investment portfolio of $25,000,000. Responsible for providing financial leadership to the team and supporting the Board of Governors in carrying out their responsibilities.
Do you think you have what it takes to become Chief Financial Officer? If you answered yes, we want to hear from you! This role allows you to work remotely anywhere in Canada, it would be ideal of you have ready access to a large urban center to accommodate efficient travel.
- Provides forward-looking financial strategies and solutions based on in-depth analysis and organizational objectives.
- Manage and oversee the operations of the finance, payroll, pension and benefits requirements and staff on a day-to-day basis
- Identify and mitigate financial risks
- Implement, monitor and maintain all financial policies and processes to ensure timely and accurate financial data, improved financial controls, minimization of organizational risk and control and safeguarding of assets
- Optimize the Standard Operating Procedures for the Finance area for the organization
- Provide direction and leadership to the across Canada Finance team and ensure the accurate and timely processing of information and analysis
- Fulfill a leadership role on the senior leadership team, encompassing strategic planning, high level and day to day financial leadership and operational analysis
- Communicate with executive leadership, Board, and Audit Committees in a timely manner on material financial matters
- Oversee the preparation of monthly consolidated financial statement package for leadership in accordance with established reporting timelines including a highlight summary with review and analysis comparing results to the projections and budget and cash management including the consolidation of property financials for approximately 200 properties.
- Understand the business needs and requirements in order to provide relevant reporting.
- Direct and optimize the internal controls program, scheduling testing and reporting to review processes, identify internal control deficiencies and put in place the necessary steps to improve controls
- Negotiate, establish, manage and oversee any contracts with service providers related to financial or facility related services
- Oversee the annual budget planning process for Scouts Canada, including the provision of budget planning guidelines and templates
- Oversee the year-end audit process and interact with the external auditors and Audit Committee
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with tax laws, financial reporting requirements and payroll legislation and reporting requirements
- Advanced conceptual understanding of a wide variety of aspects of financial operations
- Exceptional business acumen and communication skills
- Works under broad direction utilizing policies and general objectives
- Ability to structure, mentor and motivate a high achieving team
- Analytical ability for problem solving and strategic decision making
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including demonstrated flexible approach
- Ability to prioritize and work to deadlines while managing multiple activities
- Strong results orientation
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Professional accountant designation (CPA)
- Minimum ten years of experience in a similar financial role and scope with broad experience
- Experience managing a material investment portfolio
- Minimum five years of supervisory experience in an accounting environment
- Leadership of remote team considered an asset
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization would be an asset
- Demonstrated fluency with major accounting software; experience with Great Plains would be an asset
- Strong client service skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Works 35 hours per week, with flexibility during peak demand periods
- Flexibility in work hours to accommodate evening/weekend requirements as necessary
- Works remotely and travel as required
- Responsible for the direct management of employees
- Ability to initiate and respond to multiple activities
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you!
Please submit your application (Cover Letter and Resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources at email@example.com if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Ready to Apply?
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you and your passions!
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.