- What sports do you consider to be most Canadian? Why? What do they have in common? How can these other sports inspire the sport you create?
- In what season will your sport be played?
- Will your sport be played indoors or outdoors?
- Is it a team sport or an individual sport?
- What are the rules of your sport? How will you determine a winner?
- What equipment will you need?
- What makes it distinctly Canadian?
- Will you work with a partner, or in a small team?
- Work in pairs or small teams and create your sport. You’ll need to gather the equipment needed for your sport and write down all of the rules. For example, perhaps you will have a relay race carrying doughnut holes on spoons. If you drop your doughnut hole, you must profusely apologize to your teammates and opponents before starting over.
- Explain your sport to the other members of your Section and play it!
- Review your sport afterwards and see if any changes should be made.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- When you played your sport, how did it go?
- What did others think of the sport you invented?
- After having played, what might you change about your sport?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Modify an existing sport to make it more Canadian! Play basketball while wearing mittens or play soccer while sitting on a toboggan.
Take it Further
- Run a tournament for your new sport. Don’t forget to have a prize for the ultimate Canadian Champion!