Board of Governors Approved May 5, 2018
States how Scouts Canada’s members will protect personal information shared with them.
We are committed to:
- Keeping the personal information in our possession relating to our members, donors, stakeholders, and other individuals accurate, confidential, and secure.
- Complying with requirements for the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information imposed on Scouts Canada by privacy statutes and regulations including without limitation the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
1. Only authorized members will have access to members’ personal information.
2. If you are authorized access to personal information on behalf of Scouts Canada, you will:
- Collect only the personal information necessary to deliver programs and activities
- Keep personal information in a secure location where only you and other authorized members will have access to it
- Use personal information in your possession only for the purpose of delivering Scouts Canada’s programs and activities
- Disclose personal information only on the terms set out in privacy legislation or as expressly authorized in writing by the person to whom the information relates
- Follow guidelines prescribed by the applicable provincial privacy legislation, if any
3. We will ensure that Scouts Canada employees and members with access to personal information understand their obligations with respect to the collection, use, and disclosure of such information, including:
- Applying these 10 Personal Information Protection Principles from PIPEDA:
- Identifying Purposes
- Limiting Collection
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
- Individual Access
- Challenging Compliance
- Adopting and publishing Scouts Canada’s Personal Information and Privacy Protection Procedures on our website and amending them from time to time as required
4. If you are a Scouts Canada member and you would like copies of the personal information contained in your file, you must make the request in writing. The request should be dated and include details of the information you are requesting. The written request should be addressed and sent to Scouts Canada’s Privacy Officer.
5. Personal information will be retained in accordance with any applicable laws and Scouts Canada’s policies regarding document retention. Documents will be subsequently destroyed.