The selection and appointment of Scouters is an essential element of the Scout Method. Adult support is one of the elements of the Scout Method. Scouts Canada engages youth, involving them throughout their formative years in a non-formal educational process, using the Scout Method. Each individual is the principal agent of their development as a self-reliant, supportive, responsible, and committed person.
1. Scouters are volunteers at least 14 years of age.
2. All Section Scouters and Group Committee Scouters are appointed by a Group Commissioner after completing all registration, volunteer screening, and mandatory training requirements.
3. All non-Section and non-Group Committee Scouters are appointed by the appropriate commissioner within the Council Key 3 or delegate after completing all registration, volunteer screening, and mandatory training requirements.
4. Council Key 3 Members, National Support Scouters and National Shared-Service Scouters are appointed by a member of the National Key 3 or delegate after completing all registration, volunteer screening, and mandatory training requirements.
5. In the case of Venturer Companies and Rover Crews, the members should be involved in the selection of their Section Scouters.
6. Commissioners must satisfy themselves that the individual:
- Behaves in daily life in ways that indicate personal beliefs that are in keeping with the Principles and Practices of Scouting and is prepared to affirm that through the Scouters Promise
- Commits to helping achieve the Mission of Scouts Canada
- Has the ability to work harmoniously with the members of their Section and to co-operate with others
- Has demonstrated the appropriate attitude and has, or is willing to acquire, skills and knowledge for the job
- Is willing to develop their leadership and program skills through training, coaching, or self-directed learning
- Is prepared to give the time to do the job effectively, including engaging in necessary development
- Meets all of the requirements to be a registered member of Scouts Canada
7. All appointments are annual. Reappointment is based on satisfactory performance and adherence to the Code of Conduct. Group Commissioners may not renew an appointment, if:
- The Scouter no longer wishes to be a member
- The Scouter fails to carry out their responsibilities satisfactorily.
8. Discipline and Performance Management is conducted as per the Discipline & Performance Management Procedure.